Saturday, April 17, 2010

Lewis - L'Amour

Easily one of the most sincerely weird - and great - records I came across last year was this private press LP from Santa Monica by a guy simply known as Lewis! A good friend turned me onto the record with the caveat that we should try to find him, a trail which was becoming increasingly confusing and eventually impossible. Our search for Lewis ended with a Guam address sans phone number, so I'm going to leave it at that! But the music still stays lodged in my brain, a bizarre floating late night SSW trip with cosmic synth washes, enigmatic vocals, and just a truly wigged mood. I'm completely serious when I say that the vibe on here is just about the closest thing I've found via vanity press records to the highly atmospheric universe of David Lynch's Twin Peaks... Like that show it's ostensibly a really cheesy platform but everything is just so soaked in some kind of weightless transcendence and spooky subterfuge that it just totally destroys me! There's something very very world weary about the LP but couched in this great faded mumbly croon that seems effortless, yet pushing at somewhere far out... I've really been fascinated and mystified by the whole thing, and I hope some other folks will be too. Thanks to Aaron in Canada for first turning this up! Lewis if you're out there, get in touch!

18 comments:

  1. "easy like sunday morning"...interesting record, thanks for posting, J. i don't quite hear that transcendent otherworldy menace i associate with twin peaks, it puts me more in mind of arthur russell, another musical dreamer, having that understated minimal 'wrapped in a duvet and whispering an inch from your ear' intimacy that I've always enjoyed about his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tahnk you joachim for posting this hidden treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always have you posted a real gem. This will get more then one spin over here. Thank you J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really awsome. I'd say the sound is more burned out afterlife, than cheesy. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'I Thought The World Of You' is just stunning,i keep playing it over and over. Arthur Russell or John Martin vibe. You've got to track this guy down. Thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rock -- I wish we were able to find Lewis, alas, my general impression was that he didn't really want to be found... I'm hoping he might see this and respond favorably!

    Best, J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post - seems like a sunken crooner on qualudes - downimus maximux. Spent living fantastic abyss diver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's Aaron in Canada here! My friend Jon (lives in the city of me and is my life-mate digging partner) actually found the first two copies which reside in our respective collections.

    Then, out of nowhere I found three more in a Calgary, Alberta record store. Weird.

    Anyway, it's a tremendous record. Very, very intimate and otherworldly.

    Hearts,

    Aaron Levin
    Weird Canada / Cantor Records
    www.weirdcanada.com / www.cantorrecords.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANKS FOR SHARING BROS
    THIS LEWIS RECORD SHREDZ
    PEACE TO CANADA, AARON AND JON
    -M

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mylatency and everyone else. Glad people are finally hearing this record. I knew it was something special when I first found it.
    Cheers,
    Jon in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  12. i was listening to this in bed this morning and found myself comparing it to twin peaks as well.... so haunting and beautiful!!!! i hope this gets a reissue soon so I can pick up a copy for myself! THANK YOU AARON LEVIN!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. could somebody add this lp to the site /Музыка mp3 ogg/ i'll be very glad

      Delete
  14. http://baiaboyisback.blogspot.fr/2014/11/lewis-i-thought-world-of-you-1983.html

    ReplyDelete